Statistical significance testing
1-sample z-test for a population proportion
Compare a sample proportion with a hypothesised population value. P-values can be calculated for one or two-tailed comparisons and are compared to a specified significance level.
- a sample estimate of the proportion;
- sample size for the estimate;
- a population estimate for comparison;
- specified significance level; and
- whether test is one-tailed or two-tailed.
- the sample proportion and asymptotic (normal approximation) confidence limits (based on specified significance level);
- z and P values for the difference between the sample proportion and the population estimate and their interpretation;
- whether or not z * p values are > 5 (to ensure test validity); and
- a plot of the confidence limits for the proportion.